Home > General Military Cemeteries > St Augustine National Cemetery

This national cemetery began as a post cemetery when the US occupied Florida in 1821 on what had been the site of a monastery under Spanish rule. The cemetery contains graves dating from 1828; most of these early graves are US servicemen killed while fighting Indians or from disease. At the end of the Seminole Wars in 1842 1,468 soldiers including Major Francis Dade who along with 106 of his men were killed in an ambush in 1835, were interred here in three large graves. These sites are marked by three native coquina stone pyramids which were dedicated in 1842, as well as a granite monolith marker which was erected in 1881 to honor Major Dade and his men. The graves also contain the remains of Captain George Gardiner, the first Commandant of Cadets at West Point Military Academy, and Major David Moniac, a Creek Indian and the first Native American graduate of West Point. Nearby are several plain white headstones marking the final resting places of Seminole Indian scouts who served with the Army. The cemetery became an official national cemetery in 1881. The cemetery also contains the burial site of James H. Malloy who served as director of national cemeteries for the US military in the 1960s.

IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0714.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG
IMG_0716.JPG
IMG_0717.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG
IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0721.JPG
IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0724.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0726.JPG
IMG_0727.JPG
IMG_0728.JPG
20 files on 2 page(s) 1