Home > 1700-1900 > American Civil War in the United States > North Carolina Confederate Memorial

This large granite obelisk rises seventy-five feet from a stepped base. On each side are statues of North Carolina Confederate soldiers in action and a Confederate infantryman stands atop the obelisk. On the front is inscribed “To Our Confederate Dead” and on the backside is inscribed “First at Bethel Church Last at Appomattox, 1861-1865”. The memorial is flanked by two 32-pounder naval cannon that were seized from the Norfolk Navy Yard at the beginning of the war.

IMG_1472.JPG
IMG_1473.JPG
IMG_1475.JPG
IMG_1476.JPG
IMG_1477.JPG
IMG_1478.JPG
   
6 files on 1 page(s)