Home > 20th Century > World War II > Stalag XVII-B Monument at Andersonville National Historic Site

The last monument added at Anderson Historic Site was dedicated on the forty-fourth anniversary of the liberation of the infamous Stalag 17 Prisoner of War Camp in Germany in World War II. The monument honors and remembers all those who spent time in German prisoner of war camps in Europe during the war. The monument was designed by a former P.O.W. at the camp, Ken Kurtenbach, and the monument was funded by Stalag XVII survivors. More than 4,500 Americans spent time at the camp in Krems, Austria between 1943 and 1945.

[url=http://http://www.nps.gov/ande/historyculture/stalag-xviib_monument.htm AndersonvilleCemeteryStalagMonument[/url]

[Much of the information is from “Andersonville Monuments” Compiled by Bill Burnett, 2000. Available in the gift shop at the Andersonville National Historic Site Visitors Center.]

IMG_0353.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG
   
2 files on 1 page(s)